Children's Dentistry in Smyrna, GA
You can bring your whole family to Hosaka Family Dental, your kids’ dentist in Smyrna, GA.
We just love getting to know your family. Our entire staff enjoys taking care of both children and adults. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends taking your child for her/his first dental checkup visit when the first tooth appears in the mouth.
Dr. Hosaka at Hosaka Family Dental understands and respects that children may be intimidated by their first visit to the dentist. So, he takes a flexible and tailored approach for your child’s visit by slowly introducing them to our dental office. Many times, children will come in for their first visit and allow us to do a brief visual exam and a toothbrush cleaning if we are lucky. That’s okay! The number one goal for the first few visits is to have your child become comfortable with the dentist in Smyrna.
Tell, Show, and Do! The Motto at Hosaka Family Dental
The majority of the care we provide for your child is not uncomfortable, but it can be scary for young children who don’t know what’s going to happen next.
Dr. Hosaka, your kid's dentist in Smyrna, GA uses the tell, show, and do method to slowly introduce each action to your child. He and his hygienists will describe what they’re going to do during the cleaning or exam, show your child what they’ll be doing, once your child is comfortable, they’ll gently do the treatment.
Here is a walkthrough of a typical dental visit for your child:
- Pick out a fun video for your child watch on our in-room tv.
- Wear some cool sunglasses for eye protection.
- Gently clean and polish teeth using a toothbrush or soft rubber cup.
- Take two x-rays if your child can comfortably do them, which is typically done once per year.
- Dr. Hosaka does his “tooth counting” exam and checks for any wiggly teeth. He checks for cavities, makes sure teeth are erupting as scheduled for your child’s age, checks general alignment, and determines the need for braces.
- Dr. Hosaka discusses with a parent any concerns, as well as discusses diet to minimize cavity risk if needed.
- Your child gets a big high-five and picks out a toy from our treasure box.
What If My Child Needs Some Dental Work in Smyrna, GA?
If Dr. Hosaka sees any urgent issues for a very young child, he may refer you to a pediatric dental specialist who is equipped to treat young patients under mild sedation if necessary.
For our comfortable child patients, we can take care of cleanings, exams, and fix cavities, just like adults. Nitrous oxide (laughing) gas is available as a safe, short-acting calming treatment aid when cavities need to be fixed. The gas is given by a soft, pleasant smelling nosepiece that fits over your child’s nose.
Dr. Hosaka treats many children with cavities while we use the nitrous gas, play a fun video on the tv, and let your child relax during the procedure.
Please make an appointment for your whole family at Hosaka family Dental, your convenient kid's dentist today.